About Me

My photo
In a nutshell, I'm a dreamer, an author, a poet, a reader, an equestrian, a beach goer, a horror film fanatic, a crazed zombie lover, a chocolate Reese eater, and an animal activist.


Blogs to Follow

Blogs To Follow
Wise Words - Book Blogger

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

New Kitten

As you guys know from my other blog, I technically have two cats already named Dirty and Tutu, but they are staying with a friend for personal reasons, so I decided to adopt a kitten from the Human Society. Now, don't get me wrong, after I had to leave the other cats behind, I told myself I wasn't going to get a cat ever again because it was painful to lose the two I had for years, but my eyes fell to this little black and white thing and I couldn't resist. She called to me and pulled me in like a kid to a bucket of candy on Halloween. As soon as I stuck my fingers through the cage, she played with me and looked up at me with these big, green eyes. I knew right then I was going to adopt her whether or not other people living here wanted a kitten around because I knew I needed her and she needed me, and she was kind of a birthday present to myself. What better a gift than a little kitten?

The funny thing is: the paperwork said she was a boy. I never checked because I thought the people at the Humane Society knew what they were talking about. I do understand that it's hard to tell on kittens, but come on. Without even looking at the paperwork, I was calling her a girl because she seemed like a girl to me, and then the employee was like, "It's a boy." I felt a little disappointed because I was sure she was a girl, but I still wanted her (him), so I told the employee I wanted to adopt her.

A week later, the Humane Society sent her to the vet to get her fixed. I get this funny call early in the morning, and the receptionist is like, "I just want you to know that your kitten is a girl." I'm like, "Umm, okay," totally shocked and still trying to wake up. It made me giggle a little. Then when I went to pick her up the next day, one of the assistants yelled, "Congratulations, it's a girl!"
The poor little thing just happened to have an upper respiratory infection, ear mites, and fleas, so the vet had to give her medication on top of pain medication for her surgery. A few days after I brought her home, she started to wheeze and breath really heavy, and she couldn't breathe out of her nose at all, so I freaked out a little, (I laugh about that now) and I called the vet to ask them what I should do even though he'd only seen her a few days before. They told me to bring her in right away, and the vet was nice enough to waive the fee since he had just seen her, but I ended up buying another medication because I was still so paranoid she was going to die. Now, a few more days later, she's breathing just fine, not coughing like she was, and acting like a crazy kitten should act. She runs around and chases her tail and even smacks the dog when he's up in her business. I guess I worried for nothing and could've saved myself the trip, but she's worth it. She's too cute to lose.
I decided to name her Grimm since my birthday is a week before Halloween.


No comments:

Post a Comment